TEEN CLASSROOM TOPICS INCLUDE
Understanding signs, signals, & roadway markings
Vehicle control & managing risk
Negotiating intersections & sharing the roadway
Driving in urban traffic, rural areas, & expressway
Driving in adverse weather & handling emergencies
Effects of alcohol & drugs on driving
Basic vehicle maintenance
and other topics ...
Our classroom sessions are set up in three-hour blocks (Units) that are held Monday through Thursday. Each class begins at 5:20 pm and ends at 8:30 pm. We have eight (8) units of classroom instruction that satisfy the 24 hours required by the State of Ohio. The student will need to complete all eight units. The schedule for each unit is listed below. Ideally, the student will begin with unit #1 but they may start at any time during the first week (units 1 thru 4) and the units need not be completed in order.
WHERE DO I START?
The State of Ohio allows you to obtain a learners permit at the age of 15 years & 6 months. You can obtain a copy of the Digest of Motor Vehicle Laws from a BMV, OSP Driver Exam Station, or by download at http://www.bmv.ohio.gov. When you are ready, visit an Exam Station to take the knowledge test.
A temporary photo will be taken at that time. You will be required to show two acceptable documents for identification before taking the test. Results of the test will be stored and will be verified at a BMV agency before a temporary permit is issued.
Once you have passed the knowledge test, you can then purchase the permit from the BMV. Another photo will be taken at this time. Once you have completed the above requirements, you can begin classes at C.O.P.S Driving Academy.
In order to take your license exam you need to complete a course such as ours. This course consists of 24 hours of classroom training and 8 hours of behind-the-wheel training.
You will also need to be sixteen years of age, and you need to have had your permit for a minimum of six months. You are also required to have driven a minimum of 50 hours (including 10 nighttime hours) with a parent or legal guardian.
Your parent or guardian is required to fill out an affidavit stating you have driven at least 50 hours. This affidavit needs to be notarized. You can download & print an affidavit at http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv5791.pdf
THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- We cannot schedule any student to drive until the tuition is paid in full.
- We ONLY pick up in Trumbull County. If you live outside Trumbull County, we will arrange a meeting place.
- There will be a $30.00 charge for any student who misses /forgets a scheduled drive without calling at least 2 hours ahead of the scheduled time to cancel that drive. You must have your permit in-hand when the instructor picks you up. Failure to show a valid permit on each drive will result in having to cancel the drive.
- Do not schedule your driving test with any exam station until you have received your Certificate of Completion. Once you have received your certificate, you can schedule your driving test on-line at http://www.ohiodrivingtest.com/ or by calling your local exam station. Click here fo
- Do not lose your certificate. Parents must sign a notarized affidavit for lost certificates. There will also be a $10.00 charge to issue a new certificate.
- Parents must sign an affidavit stating you drove with them for at least 50 hours. Ten of those hours must be nightime driving. You can download and print an affidavit at: http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv5791.pdf
- Do not show up late for class. If you come late you will need to leave and re-take the class on another date. This is a strict requirement of the State of Ohio.
- The contract/agreement you signed is good for six months from the date of signing. You may be asked to pay an additional fee if you fail to complete the course within six months.